Friday 20 August 2010

Moments.

I have been thinking a lot about moments for the last 7 months or so. On the 7th of January this year at 01.07 am when my boy was thrown on my chest, bloody and wiggling, moments became very important to me. There were the unforgettable ones, like looking over at my partner, James, holding his son for the first time. He looked, so relieved and happy with tears in his eyes. But of course before that one came the pushing, pushing, pushing for 3 hours! The many moments I thought "you keep saying one last push, but you just don't mean that, do you. Perhaps if I just give up pushing someone will come along and rescue me!". Then there were (sorry, still are) the somewhat crappy ones, when he wouldn't stop crying, for the first few nights at home 10pm 'till 4am You know, those ones that some people say they never had. You know those people, the ones who say "My baby never cries, she/he is the perfect baby, we have to wake her/him for feeds, blah, blah, blah" By the way, those people are lying. Either that or their day comes (I promise!) . People kept visiting (never ending visitors who all wanted tea!) and they all kept saying "you get used to the crying". I just kept thinking "if one more person says that.....I don't want to get used to it because if I have to get used to it then that means that it doesn't stop...... I cannot entertain that as a possibility!". Thankfully those moments, or days, do end and after months go by they don't seem as bad as they were. I'm told that's why we are able to have more children. Of course there are the moments that make all that worth while.You know, the reason you did it, the pushing, the sleepless nights, the petty rows, the mortifying body, the cracked nipples..... The ones that just melt the heart, make it wrench and give you that excited, happy feeling inside. Like today, when I looked over at my little boy and his daddy sitting together smiling and laughing. Teddy's little feet flapping and James looking all proud.

So I suppose that's the reason I stared this blog. I wanted to share my moments and hear about yours.  Because when we have children life becomes about the moments. Because, really, that's all we have, or so it seems. Because so quickly its on to the next day, the next night, then the next milestone and you find yourself surprised at the pictures of your baby from a couple of months ago."Was he really that bald?" They are all precious, incomparable and when you become a parent you cherish them.

Finally, why the name? The mummy and the daddy. Because that's what we are now, not James and Lucy as we once were, many moons ago. We are Teds parents, most importantly.In many ways that's a good thing, but sometimes we need each other back and it feels as though "us" is a thing of the past, but that's for another day......


The day he was born.

2 comments:

  1. Wow he is absolutely the most adorable little thing ever!!

    xoxo
    http://talkaboutstyle.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes he is isn't he! xxx

    ReplyDelete